Saturday, October 3, 2009

Running Hurts

I was having a conversation with a co-worker about his recent leap into the pool of jogging. He was complaining about how the ball of his foot hurt after he ran. He questioned me about my feet and if I suffer from pain following a run too. We chatted about the probable cause for a while and I came to a conclusion. I looked at him and said, “running hurts.” Sometimes it hurts while you are in the midst of the act, sometimes immediately after, and most often for me, the next morning.

After my first marathon I rubbed my nipples raw from wearing a loose, heavy cotton shirt. The pain was nearly unbearable when I got in the shower and the salty sweat ran over them. I’ve suffered from lower back pain that sent me to my family practitioner, a physical therapist, a couple’s yoga class and hours searching the net for similar complaints and home remedies. I routinely place medicated powder in an area that, well lets say it’s not an easy place to put medicated powder onto; in an attempt to cool the fiery chafe.

Why do we do this? I even questioned myself for a minute thinking about the powder application. As our conversation about jogging waned, I told him that a knee replacement is better than a triple bypass. He agreed, chuckled and walked away. Truth is, I don’t want easy. Sure, when it comes to programming the TV, updating the ipod, drive up oil changes you bet. In this age of automation I don’t want to forget what its like to challenge myself. I don’t want to become soft and complain when the escalator is down and I have to take the stairs. I don’t want my son or daughter to have ‘that dad’ who can’t join them in whatever activity they are interested in. I can’t stop a receding hair line, can’t avoid the wrinkles, but I can stop the lethargy and idleness. Now, if I could only tackle the fiery chafe…..

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I've questioned myself a number of times on why I'm putting myself through the pain that accompanies pushing my limits. I have to say, I love the feeling after a hard effort but not so much during.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't want easy." Great quote D. Me, i got to say, I run the hard days so that there will be those easy days when I feel like I am cruising smooth and speedy uphill, downhill, for a long distance. I labor so I can have days where I don't feel labored. I do the hard days because I do want easy.

    ReplyDelete